Chin exercises are fun to do, right? If you are looking for ways to sharpen your jawline, this article is for you! Chin fat is something natural that can occur for several reasons. A lesser-known fact is that there can be several reasons for the development of chin fat. However, people are made to feel that they are solely responsible for the chubby jawline.
No, bruxism does not help define your jawline, so do not go and start grinding them pearls.
In this article, we will explore the causes of chin fat and follow it up with the top 10 chin exercises that can help you fix that jawline quickly.
What Are Chin Exercises?
Chin exercises are a part of physical activities that help in giving a structure to your jawline. These exercises have been made popular in the current time when people are flaunting their jawlines and making good money from such short content on social media sites!
I’m sure you must have seen at least a million views or likes on such videos. There is a plethora of content on the internet filled with advice and hacks to get a chiseled jawline. However, not all of them suggest something that will be effective for you.
This article will focus on the exercises that can help most of our readers. Exercise is something that can help you improve the appearance of your chin in a natural way. There are other alternatives that help people give their jawline a definition. However, there have been cases that can horrify anyone!
Is Chin Fat A Serious Concern?
The chin is the bony prominence that is seen under the lower lip. The lower jaw begins as two separate bones that fuse in the middle to create a single mandible bone in adults. This connection point for several important facial muscles helps in chewing – among other functions.
Moreover, you may wonder why this area is so important? Well, as per several studies and observations, it is said that the chin acts as a point or accurately a “stress reliever” for the jawbone. The movements that our jaw is involved in throughout the day need a place to offload its stress, which is where the chin comes to the rescue!
There are fat pads that serve a role in providing protection to the jaw. This is where the cosmetic consideration is. The change in this fat pad’s structure determines the amount of fat stored in that region. For example, the structure of this fat pad differs from that of the cheeks. The cheeks have buccal fat pad and not the subcutaneous fat pad that the chin contains.
In short, the difference in fat storage lies in the way these cells give space to the fat cells to take space. That is why some people may have slimmer cheeks but may have comparatively more chin fat.
So, What Causes The Difference?
Apart from the societal pressure there is nothing wrong with the presence of fat on your chin. As mentioned earlier, there can be several reasons why you have an accumulation of fat around your chin. It can primarily be due to:
- Diet and weight
It can be in “your genes” to have chin fat, which is something you have no control of. No matter how much you restrict your diet after falling prey to stigmatization and hearsay. Let me tell you the truth – genetic causes of the presence of chin fat or double chin are out of your control. There is even scientific evidence that links the genetic makeup of a person to the presence of chin fat.
Genetics plays the biggest role in determining who stores what amount of chin fat. The difference in anatomy of your chin, the bone structure where the cells make home, muscle tissues. All these factors are determined by our genes. When you think about it, there is not much for us to do when the cause of our double chin is genetic.
The second factor that plays a significant role in the development of a double chin is your diet and consequently, the weight that it affects. It is not rocket science that you are what you eat. When you eat processed food a lot, you are bound to gain weight. Processed food is scientifically proven to be bad for us, apart from leading to several health issues.
Why Is This of Importance?
To put it simply. Chin fat is given so much importance because it affects our appearance. The societal definition of beauty leads to the pressure that is felt by almost 90% of the population on Earth! One study in 2019 found that the participants negatively impacted the feelings of attractiveness and their behavior. The study went ahead to prove that a reduction in chin fat can “not only improve one’s appearance, but also may enhance one’s self-esteem.”
This should give you an idea of the extent of the pressure that society puts on the appearance and one’s outlook of themselves. Thus, chin fat becomes that much more important to you and me. A study even went ahead to say that home remedies such as using a solution of ascorbic acid and ascorbyl-palmitate can treat double chin!
The article will now proceed to look at the exercises that can help in reducing chin fat.
Top 10 Chin Exercises
Let’s have a look at the face exercises for double chin that can help you reduce it effectively! Here’s the list:
1. Kiss The Ceiling!
In this list of exercises to get rid of double chin, the first one that comes is ‘kiss the sky” or “kiss the ceiling.” I remember when I started working out, I saw a middle-aged woman, walking on the treadmill with her face towards the ceiling. I thought she was looking at something that was perhaps interesting enough to catch her attention in the middle of a workout.
After completing a set of whatever I was doing then, I saw she was now not just looking at the ceiling, she was blowing kisses! It was perplexing to see that in the middle of a packed gym, this woman was blowing kisses! Later, I asked her what she was doing, and she laughed before answering that she was doing an exercise that would give her a “chin lift.” The whole scene was quite cinematic. However, the exercise was done effectively as she did manage to trim whatever fat was hanging around her chin.
This is how you get the exercise done:
- Lift your chin and nod your head back,
- While looking up at the ceiling, keep your tongue against the roof of your mouth and swallow occasionally.
- Repeat the exercise 10 times if you are doing it for the first time. Repeat the exercise 20 times if you have been doing facial exercises.
2. Sounding Out Vowels.
A, E, I, O, U….these are our vowels, right? Well, re-visit this primary school lesson to chisel your jawline. Don’t worry, you do not have to repeat all the vowels, just two- O and E! Follow these steps to nail the exercise and reduce your double chin.
- Open your mouth widely,
- Say the letters “O” and then, “E”
- Hold both positions for one second each.
- Repeat the exercise 15 times for the best results.
If you want to get better results, try exaggerating the movements and sounds. Trying not to show or touch your teeth for better results.
This also has an interesting story where I found a few older adults performing this exercise while on my daily run at the park. They were repeating the vowels, some not making any sound. Some were verbally calling out the letters. It was fun to see them practice the exercise and say goodbye to their double chin.
3. Stretch Out Your Tongue
This one is a funny exercise that does not just work your jawline but might even work the funny bones! To complete this exercise, you just need to follow these steps:
- Sit up straight and slowly raise your chin to face the ceiling (just like that woman I saw at the gym in exercise 1!)
- Relax your shoulders to avoid straining your neck (and adding a bill while trying to save another!)
- Stick your tongue out and down, then touch your chin with the tip of your tongue.
- Try holding this position for 10 seconds and then relax by going back to the first step.
- Repeat the exercise thrice, holding the position for 10 second in each set.
4. Chin Press
A fairly easy (that was the whole point, to begin with) exercise that can help you get your jawline back in shape, this one is your go to exercise when you are bored and don’t know what to do! Simply follow these steps to fill your exercise routine for a slimmer jaw:
- Place your fist under your chin. Then, open and close your mouth.
- Push your fist under your chin and apply resistance from your hand.
- Do the exercise gently, making sure you do not rush during this exercise as you can (and will) hurt yourself.
- Proceed to the next set after resting for a while, while also assessing if you can feel anything in your jaw.
- The implication is that you should be able to feel a good burn which indicates exercise well done. If there is some tension or you are hurt even minutes after the exercise, you do not have the form right.
5. Smooth Your Jaw While You Smile
This one may seem complicated at first, however, this is another one of those chin fat exercises that you can do easily. You may feel uncomfortable at first, however, you will nail this exercise in no time! Here is how you do it:
- Placing your index finger on the chin area, curve your mouth in the shape of a smile. Wrap your lips around the teeth while doing this.
- Star to scoop your jaw backwards while you open and close your mouth.
- Next, apply slight pressure as you lift your chin up towards the ceiling. Do not over-strain your neck and continue to open and close your mouth. While doing this, you will tilt your head back down to the starting position.
6. Under Your Jaw Ball Exercise
This exercise is another fun addition to your routine that can help you fight the double chin. In this, you must:
- Place a small or medium sized ball under your chin
- Press your chin down against the ball, be sure to put gentle pressure
- Repeat the exercise a couple of times, at least 6 to 10 times
- Or you can try to do three sets of the exercise, 8 reps in each set.
7. Straight Jaw Jut
This exercise helps stretch those muscles under your jaw, while also giving your neck a good stretch. Follow these steps to get it right:
- Tilt your head back, keeping your face towards the ceiling
- Pushing your lower jaw forward, try to feel a stretch under your chin
- Hold this position for 10 seconds and relax
- Return your head to the neutral position to give your neck a break
- Repeat the exercise 10 times if you can, or at least 6 to 8 times in each set.
- You may start with one set, but you must progress to at least three sets to really see an effect.
8. Simple Neck Stretch
This one is no-brainer as you can easily do this without any equipment like most of the other exercises. Follow along to get this right:
- Tilt your head back to face the ceiling
- Pressing your tongue on the roof of your mouth, hold it there
- You can hold this position for at least 5 to 10 seconds
- Release and go back to the neutral position to relax for some time
- Repeat the exercise 8 to 10 times.
9. Bottom Jaw Jut
If you thought the first jaw jut was left alone in the list, here is the counterpart to help you exercise the jaw completely. Here’s how you do it:
- Tilt your head back to the favorite position of this exercise – facing the ceiling
- Turn your head to the right side and slide your bottom jaw forward.
- Hold the position for 5 to 10 seconds and release
- Do this again for the left side
- Repeat the exercise at least 10 times
10. Roar Like A Lion!
Do you also believe there is a lion living inside you? Well, time to unleash that beat now! Here’s how you can add definition to your jawline:
- Stand or sit straight
- Open your mouth as wide as you can
- Stick your tongue out as far as you can
- Hold this position for 10 seconds and relax
- Repeat the exercise 10 times for best results
Tips To Improve Your Jawline
The preceding list is all you need to improve your exercise routine for a jawline that is sharper than a knife. However, for it to be a safe transition, these tips might help you:
- Do not overdo the exercises. Just how your overall body workout requires a limit, so does your isolated body part exercise. Make sure you are doing the exercises in moderation
- You can mix and match the exercises as you like, the list is in no order of priority.
- Maintain a proper stance and posture as mentioned in the instruction.
In conclusion, this was all you need to know about chin exercises. These exercises will help you in achieving your result where your chin will show signs of improvement. The list is just to give you an idea of easy-to-do exercises that you can do anywhere, any day.
You will not even need any surgical options that cost an arm to get a sleek jawline, just follow the steps!
Have any more ideas we can use? Let us know in the comments below!