According to data, in 2021, one child among 44 will be diagnosed with autism. In addition, boys are four times more at risk of developing autism. This health condition challenges social skills, speech and non-verbal communication, and repetitive behaviors.
A combination of genetic and environmental factors is in play to cause this spectrum disorder which has not one but several other types.
The autism spectrum disorder may disrupt the way of living in an individual. They may often need support in doing normal daily activities. On the other hand, some of them may not need any help and may live independently.
The signs of autism appear on a human child when he is 2/3 years old; the symptoms may also appear as early as eighteen months.
In this article, I have simplified the reasons, symptoms, and treatment of autism so that you can easily understand a patient’s condition who has autism. Let me start by helping you with what is an autism spectrum disorder.
What Is Autism?
Autism spectrum disorder or autism is a complicated mental condition that puts a child through a challenge of speech communication and behavioral incongruity. Autistic patients have a hard time communicating. Their condition may range from minor to exceptional cases where they need full-time treatment in a unique facility.
It may be challenging for them to understand what someone expresses through facial expressions or touch.
Autism patients have trouble understanding verbal language and gestures. They also have problems learning anything. Or their skills may be uneven in learning. For instance, they may be exceptionally good at memorizing something or at art or music while having problems communicating with anyone.
The number of children diagnosed with the signs having autistic spectrum disorder is increasing. Almost one percent of the global population suffers from this behavioral disorder. There are several symptoms of this condition. I have listed such signs below.
Autistic patients show signs related to social communication and behavioral patterns. Below are some symptoms that suggest that a child may be autistic.
- They may not respond when their names are called.
- Sometimes when you try to cuddle or hold them, they will resist; they will instead be left alone in their worlds.
- A lack of eye contact is there.
- They may do something or say words repetitively. They may speak fragmented speeches and may have a delayed speech pattern.
- This type of patient Has a lack of interest in specific topics.
- They have a hard time understanding any questions or directions.
- Cannot start or continue a conversation. Their approach may be aggressive, passive, Or disruptive at times.
- They may be susceptible to touches, sounds, and smells.
- Their speech may sound robotic, flat, or sing-song.
- These patients may repetitively perform movements; for instance, they may spin, flap hands, or rock their heads.
- Autistic patients often do self-harm activities like banging their heads and biting themselves.
Read More About: Maladaptive Daydreaming – Symptoms, Causes, Effect, And Treatment
What Causes Autism?
The exact reasons behind autistic behavior are still unclear. However, the problem may stem from the part of your brain which interprets sensory inputs and helps with the language process.
This condition may occur to people irrespective of their race-ethnicity. Some possible reasons that put someone at risk of developing autism are-
- The condition may arise due to genetic reasons.
- If the parent of a child is older, he may be at risk of developing this disease.
- When pregnant women are exposed to any drug, chemical, or anti-seizure medications, they risk giving birth to autistic children.
- Air pollution also may trigger autism spectrum disorder.
How To Treat Autism?
Although there is no specific way to prevent autism, there are options for treating autistic behaviors and improving language problems through speech therapy.
Here are some treatment measures you need to provide your child if you spot any early signs of autism. But, I recommend taking help from the specialists and diagnosing the patient first.
Some treatments of autism include-
- Social skills training: This treatment is done in groups or individually. This treatment helps patients to navigate any social situation.
- Speech and language therapy: To improve the speech patterns and help in understanding language, this therapy helps a lot.
- Occupational therapy: This therapy helps advance the adaptive skill deficits through daily activities and problems with handwriting.
- Parent management training: Through this process, parents with autistic children learn to respond to their kid’s problematic behavior properly. Through this process, parents learn to encourage such children to behave properly.
- Special education services: Students get special day classes and necessary support to fully manifest as potent learners.
Frequently Asked Questions:-
The above sections have simplistically elaborated the reasons, symptoms, and treatment of autism spectrum disorder. If there are any further queries, you can follow these below questions.
Ans: Autism generally affects children with disabilities to engage and converse properly socially. Here are the three main symptoms of this disease-
• The patient may be delayed in responding.
• A socially awkward child
• They have trouble with verbal and non-verbal conversation.
Ans: Autism spectrum behaviors challenge a patient with a lack of social, communicational, behavioral, speech skills. They also show repetitive behaviors and take time to respond to any question or call. They also cannot understand direction and may indulge in self-harming behaviors.
Ans: The primary reason for getting autism is genetics. However, environmental factors like a pregnant mother being under drugs may also be why a child is born autistic.
Ans: Autistic kids may show below symptoms-
• They may not respond when their names are called.
• Sometimes when you try to cuddle or hold them, they will resist; they will rather be left alone in their worlds.
• A lack of eye contact is there.
• They may do something or say words repetitively. They may speak fragmented speeches and may have a delayed speech pattern.
• This type of patient has a lack of interest in specific topics.
If a child shows any of these symptoms of autism, it is wise to get them diagnosed with this disorder. Although there may not be any way to prevent this disorder, doctors can provide the patient with therapies to improve their condition and help them cope with their lives better.